6 Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Do you feed your dog leftovers from last nights dinner? While most owners are told that you should only feed them high-quality dog food, we still end up giving them table scraps. This is fine if its just plain meat, but there are many foods which are toxic and downright dangerous for dogs to eat.


Chances are you don’t go feeding your dog the rest of your Hersheys bar, well at least I hope you don’t! However, dogs are quite innovative at getting foods you don’t want them to. If you leave a candy bar on your coffee table or night stand, they could easily reach their sneaky little head up there and nose it off.

The problem with chocolate is that it contains a toxic chemical called theobromine. Once ingested, it can cause a range of health problems including diarrhea, vomiting, seizures and comas. When we eat chocolate, out body metabolizes the substance easier and more quickly than canines do.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure when eaten by canines. Smaller dogs are at greater risk, as just a handful of grapes or raisins can cause toxicity. No one knows the exact chemical causing this reaction, but some scientists believe a mycotoxin is a culprit.


Each year, hundreds of dogs and cats are sent to the emergency veterinarian clinic due to onion consumption. Whether its raw, cooked or powdered, all forms of onions are toxic to dogs. When they consume onions, it begins to destroy their red blood cells, which can then lead to multiple organ failures throughout the body. Avoid feeding your dog anything which has been cooked or prepared using onions.


Caffeine is an ingredient in many everyday beverages we consume, such as coffee, sodas, tea and energy drinks. In small doses, your dog may only exhibit increased physical activity, but if enough is consumed, they’ll have an increased heart rate, sickness, lethargy and organ failure in extreme cases.


While milk usually won’t cause any life-threatening issues, it can still lead to digestive tract issues. Your canine may experience vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and lethargy after drinking milk.


Some dogs will eat anything in front of them, especially when you leave them unsupervised. If you have tobacco products in your home, whether its cigarettes chew, nicotine patches or gum, you should keep them in a safe place where your dog can never reach them. At first, your dog may begin to vomit, but more serious symptoms may include tremors, diarrhea, and seizures.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *